Skip to main content

Thank YOU Notes - part 1 - The Contentment Secret

In this post we are going to look at a few verses in the book of Philippians. Philippians is often referred to as the joy book. We are going to be looking at what Paul says about being content and thankful. Let's look at what he says in chapter 4:

“I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”
Philippians 4:11-13 NIV

In this section of Philippians, Paul is writing to thank the people for the gifts that were sent to him. But he also was sending them a reminder that it wasn't all about stuff. He tells them that he has been in need and has had plenty. Paul had been shipwrecked and in places where people took care of him. Paul traveled all over Asia during his missionary journeys, and through all of his travels he had been through a lot. So what's the secret that he discovered about contentment and being thankful? We can find it in verse 12:

I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

Paul is telling them to be content with what they have. If you have a lot, be thankful. If you don't, be thankful. Be happy with what you have and what God has given you.

The contentment secret: Be happy and be thankful!!

Edited by Kay Beam
-----------
Just a few side notes:

1) The next post we will be looking at how God is the best provider we could ask for.

2) Enjoy the video below of Jimmy Fallon's thank you note segment from The Tonight Show.








Popular Posts for Second Stage Ministries

God, You Failed

"God, you failed me!” Many of us have probably heard these words, thought these words, or even said these words. We get tired of waiting for God to do something. We feel like God’s inbox is full and our prayers are just bouncing off the ceiling and coming right back at us. So, in some cases and with some people, they give up and say “God, you failed me!” I feel these words in certain areas of the Bible: Peter, Paul, Moses, Joseph, the disciples and the people that followed and believed in Jesus just to watch Him get crucified. The one that is probably the most obvious is David as he writes in the Psalms about feeling abandoned by God. For this post, I was directed to a familiar story in the Gospel of John. In this story, we are going to see this happen as two women he frustrated with Jesus. The women’s names were Mary and Martha and they had a brother named Lazarus. Lazarus has talked ill and the women had sent for Jesus urging him to come quickly saying “the one yo

Eyes Up - part 5 - Patience

“...where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord.... Psalm 121:1-2 NIV Ahhhh..... patience. That’s it. That’s all I have for this post. Anyone suffer from a lack of patience? I know I do and that is why I find it hard to give advice on the topic. This is why I’m not giving advice. I’m going to let God do that. I want to draw you attention to Exodus 14 for this week’s post. Moses has already been summoned by God to go back to Egypt and free the Israelites from Pharaoh. After much talking, plagues and stubbornness - Pharaoh lets the Israelites go. Moses leads them out of Egypt and they get as far as the Red Sea. Meanwhile, Pharaoh has changed his mind and is in hot pursuit of them. The people begin to grumble at Moses because of their situation. They said things like: “They said to Moses, ‘Was it because there were no graves in Egypt that you brought us to the desert to die? What have you done to us by bringing us out of Egypt? Didn’t we say to you in Egy

Eyes Up - part 4 - Peace

“...where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord.... Psalm 121:1-2 NIV There are just some things that we need help with and that is just a fact. So in this series of posts we are looking at a few of those kind of things and trying change our focus to the One that can give us true help with these things. We have been focusing in on Psalm 121:1-2 for this “Eyes Up” refocus. The psalmist realized that there is really only one true source of help and refocused attention to that source. The topic of today’s post is one that is really only found in Jesus. Peace. What is that anymore? Look around you, turn on the news or scroll Facebook/Twitter and you will see there is really no such thing as peace anymore. People are constantly at each other because of their opinions and refusing to accept one another’s views and move on with life. There is chaos in the line at Walmart because someone cut in line and instead of just letting them have the spot - a verbal fight brea

Artist

I have always wanted to be an artist. I have always wanted to be able to whip out a sketch pad and draw what is before me. I have always wanted to be able to draw the intricate design of the landscape in the distance, the details of a person's face or the majestic colors in the sky at sunset. I have always wanted to draw on a white board as I teach the Word of God to 10 year olds. But I can’t even draw stick figures all that well. I am just not an artist in that way. But I am an artist. I am able to creatively teach 4th and 5th graders stories in the Bible so that they can understand how much he loves them and how all the stories in Bible are all one big story. We are all created differently with different abilities. Paul wrote about this in 1 Corinthians 12. He describes a body and how each part of the body does it’s own thing and that each part serves a purpose. You don’t use your hands to try and do what your feet can do and your eyes are not your hands. Every par

Kryptonite

“[looking away from all that will distract us and] focusing our eyes on Jesus , who is the Author and Perfecter of faith....” -  Hebrews 12:2 a AMP Have you ever lost focus? Maybe it was a task you were working on and one of your kids (or spouse) come into the room or called out to you from another place in the house causing you to turn your attention from what you were doing to them or their calling out. Then you look back at your task and have to remember where you were or what exactly you have done. Did I add salt to this? Did I put in the sugar for the cookies? How many cups of flour did I put in the mixing bowl already? You get the idea. Have you been there? There are times in life when we can be the same way. We are going along in life - our day to day activities - our gaze is laser focused on Jesus. Then all of a sudden something happens in our life that seemingly comes out of nowhere and takes our focus off of Jesus. We begin then to fall into the storm of what